BOY have I had to remind myself of this over and over again during the past month since my last post. Don't get me wrong - traveling has been such a wonderful chance to see the country. From San Diego to Corpus Christi, I have seen some really neat places. However, it has also been very trying. As I said in my first or second post - this job really has been a FULL experience. I am now halfway through the semester and here are the places I've been since my last post!
UC San Diego (La Jolla, California)
I think this goes without saying - San Diego is BEAUTIFUL. It was absolutely my favorite city so far. From seeing the Pacifiic Ocean for the first time to being shocked by cliffs bordering the water - I was in awe of the landscape. La Jolla is the area outside of San Diego where UCSD's campus is and it is such nice neighborhood. Expensive living and upscale shops and restaurants all around. The way it is positioned you can literally see the fog rolling in from the water in the morning and it clears up in the afternoon. It was so strange and nothing like I have ever seen. I was in town to help the Tri Delta women there prepare for their recruitment the next week. I met with several officers and helped them plan what they would be doing day to day. Recruitment visits are my favorite because it is much easier to pinpoint areas that need to improve, and there is a visible outcome to the work put in. While in La Jolla I had a lot of firsts - one of which being my first In-N-Out burger!
| Just as good as everyone says! |
Brenau (Gainesville, Georgia)
Probably my favorite chapter visit so far. Not that I haven't enjoyed others, but the women here were so welcoming! And it could have something to do with the fact that because of all of my traveling, ANYWHERE in the southeast really does feel like home. I was just excited to be in the same time zone as my family and friends! But Gainesville really is a cute town and the campus dynamic of Brenau - an all women's college with 800 students - was so interesting to me. While it was very different from my own collegiate experience, I loved seeing how their chapter worked. I already told the Chapter Services team at Executive Office that I wouldn't mind going back for a visit in the spring! After my short visit here it was home for break where I got to see my first home game of the season. Best. Weekend. Ever.
| No I didn't take this - but I just wanted to remind everyone how beautiful Williams Brice is :) |
Texas A&M Corpus Christi (Corpus Christi, Texas)
After this break it was especially tough to get accustomed to life on the road again. It became clear that travel has started to take its toll on me physically and mentally. It really does take the right frame of mind to be able to handle going without seeing anyone you know for extended periods of time, as well as sitting in on Friday and Saturday nights because you don't know anyone in the town you're in. The women here were wonderful though and it was neat to see their campus they call "The Island". Corpus was really unique, and again a different coastal feel than I am used to seeing on the Atlantic Ocean. The Padre Islands were pretty though! I was excited to see the water again :) Instead of staying in a chapter house at TAMUCC (they don't have housing), I stayed in the guest house at their advisor's home. It was such a treat to have my own space! PLUS she had the sweetest cat, Ranger, who made me feel right at home.
| The view flying into Corpus Christi |
| Ranger loved me! |
Stephen F. Austin (Nacogdoches, Texas)
My second school this leg was good ol' SFA in the oldest city in Texas, Nacogdoces. This is where Jason, our Chapter Services Director, and several other EO employees went - so it was neat to see their old stomping grounds! Nacogdoches itself really doesn't have much going on, but the campus was very pretty. I got to have some down time for a change and relax for two days of my five day visit. Literally the entire chapter was in Houston supporting their football team in their rivalry game versus Sam Houston. Although they lost, all of the girls claimed to have had fun when they returned! The rest of my visit was PACKED however since we had to make up for lost time. My one assignment while I was visiting SFA was from Jason - he demanded I get a picture in front of "Surfin' Steve" giving the Lumberjack "axe 'em" sign.
| Axe 'em, Jacks! |
UT Arlington (Arlington, Texas)
Here I am in Arlington (just minutes from Executive office) enjoying my time with the Mustangs! I am staying in the lovely chapter house here. They don't realize just how lucky they are to get so much attention from the housing corporation being so close. I have been here for 2 days and leave in 2 more. It has been a nice change of pace to be somewhere I recognize, and I am SO much looking forward to seeing all of my friends at EO tomorrow! I managed to squeeze a little break time in so I will be able to stop in for a visit.
As you can see I have had a packed last month. It has been full of both smiles and tears, so I have to remind myself constantly that this is a year of growing and learning for me. The Lord has a plan and while it may seem like it is to ruin my social life (I literally have none on the road), I know he has wonderful things in store for me :)
No comments:
Post a Comment